Telephone 020 8951 6959

Tips for Choosing Conveyancing Services Online

15 Jan 2015

Posted in Conveyancing

Choosing conveyancing solicitors to process your property sale or purchase can be a difficult task. Without a personal recommendation or experience of using a particular solicitor on a previous occasion, it can be difficult knowing where to start.

Many people simply choose to employ the conveyancing solicitors that are recommended by their estate agent, but the Internet makes it much easier to compare conveyancing services online and find the best and most cost effective service for your particular requirements.

Look for accreditations

When choosing a conveyancing service, make sure that the solicitor you work with is accredited by the appropriate regulatory bodies. Solicitors should be registered with the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA) and the highest rated services will be accredited by the Law Society’s Conveyancing Quality Scheme (

If you choose to use an individual who is not registered as a Conveyancing lawyer or Licensed Conveyor, you run the risk of getting into serious legal difficulties if there are any problems with the transaction. The SRA requires that members carry indemnity insurance so that claims can be made in the event of a legal defect.

Consider location

Choosing residential conveyancing services online means that you can employ the services of solicitors anywhere in the country. This may be fine if you are happy to communicate via telephone, email and letter, but can be very inconvenient if you wish to have a face-to-face discussion.

If you are based in the London area, make sure to choose a conveyancing London service that is actually located in the city so that you can easily arrange an appointment if required.

Research experience and expertise

Ideally, you should choose a solicitor who specialises in residential conveyancing or remortgage services, depending on your personal requirements. Many solicitors offer conveyancing as a service but do not specialise in this area and this may result in extended timelines for contract exchanges and transfer of equity, as they are busy dealing with other areas of their business.

If you require a particular service such as lease extensions or for paperwork to be drawn up for residential property leases, you will need a conveyancing lawyer who specialises in these areas, as general conveyancers do not always offer these services.