Telephone 020 8951 6959

Tier 1 Investor Visa

22 Jan 2015

You should consider the Tier 1 Investor visa if you have at least £2 million to invest and wish to make the United Kingdom your and your families home.

An investor must:

– have £2,000,000 or more of their own money for investment in the UK; or

– intend to invest not less than £2,000,000 of their capital in the UK.  This could be investment in share capital, Government bonds (GILTS) or loan capital in active and trading UK registered companies.  However, businesses which are principally involved in property investment and investment through deposits such as a bank or building society are excluded as an acceptable form of investment.

Further the funds must be lawfully obtained by the investor.

There is no requirement for an investor to show competence in the English language. Nor is there any requirement to show the availability of additional funds for personal maintenance.

Types of Funds

The funds may be held in a UK regulated financial institution and can be in the name of the applicant or their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner and must be freely transferable and disposable in the UK.  No other person should have a controlling interest in the funds unless the funds are jointly held by the investor and his or her partner.

You cannot mix personal money with borrowed money in order to achieve the £2,000,000 required investment.  Likewise you cannot use property and other assets to show that you have sufficient funds for investment for initial Tier 1 visa applications.

It will be necessary to provide proper documentation regarding the source of the funds if you have not held the required funds for 90 days or more.

The meaning of “Disposable in the UK” is that all the capital must be freely movable to the UK and can be converted to pound sterling. Specific evidence of this will be required, such as a letter from the bank or relevant authorities concerned.

It is a requirement for the visa that the UK investment should be made within either (a) 3 months of the grant of permission or (b) entry to the UK.

Investing your Funds in the UK

You will need to invest your £2,000,000 funds in approved form of investments such as UK government bonds or share capital in trading UK registered companies.  This needs to be done either (a) within 3 months of being granted your visa (if you are already in the UK), or (b) 3 months of your first entry to the UK after being granted your visa (if you apply from overseas).

As mentioned above it is not permissible to invest in companies principally engaged in property investment.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (permanent residence)

It is possible to gain accelerated indefinite leave to remain:

  • after 2 years by bringing £10 million to the UK, you would need to invest £7,500,000 in approved investments.
  • after 3 years by bringing £5 million to the UK, you would need to invest £3,750,000 in approved investments.

You will need to extend your initial visa after 3 years if you rely on the initial investment of £2,000,000.  You will need to apply before the expiry of your visa for an extension for a further 2 years.

You should be eligible for indefinite leave to remain once you have completed 5 years in the UK.


An investor can be accompanied by their spouse/civil partner/long term partner and children under the age of 18 to the UK.