Finding Good Divorce Lawyers in the UK: How to Choose a Solicitor
Divorce can be stressful and emotionally draining for all involved. There is no way of making a divorce completely painless, but good divorce lawyers can make the process a lot easier and remove the added stresses of paperwork and legal requirements in this difficult period of your life.
Choosing Divorce Solicitors
As you are likely to be feeling emotionally vulnerable during a divorce, it is important to choose a solicitor who you feel comfortable with and is sensitive to your feelings as well as being legally competent. You may want to take recommendations from friends or family, but it is also helpful to contact a few different solicitors and see how happy you feel about working with them.
Many different divorce solicitors offer divorce services, but it is important to choose one who specialises in divorce and has appropriate accreditations. Choosing a lawyer with plenty of experience can also be helpful to make sure your divorce is dealt with efficiently in a short time frame.
When researching divorce solicitor London, consider the following criteria:
- Solicitors should be registered with the Law Society and regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Your Solicitor should have professional indemnity insurance
- They should offer helpful, unbiased advice on their website
- They may offer mediation services and should offer constructive solutions for separating couples.
Remember that your solicitor is not a counsellor, and while it is important to find someone that you are comfortable to work with, you should not rely on him or her for emotional support. You may wish to employ the services of a professional counsellor or mediation service to decide if divorce is really what you want before seeing a lawyer.
What to expect at an initial consultation
At your first meeting, your solicitor will request information about your situation including your personal details, names and ages of any children, details of property and other assets, a breakdown of your debts and finances and, why you want a divorce.
It can be helpful if you prepare information such as full names, addresses, dates of birth and financial paperwork ahead of your initial meeting.
You must be completely honest during consultation with your lawyer as inaccurate information can cause problems later. Therefore, it is important to choose someone you trust and feel comfortable talking to. Divorce is never easy but a good divorce solicitor will make the process as painless as possible and helps you with divorce funding as well.
- Young Death of Celebrity Demonstrates Why Wills Need Periodic Reviews
- Domestic Violence a Subject That Needs Highlighting For 2018
- London Investors Have to Look Long Term in Uncertain Times
- Survey Shows The Importance of Good Conveyancing
- Unmarried Woman’s Legal Victory Shifts Focus on Bereavement Rights